October is National Ergonomics Month, so this is a good time to stop and think about workplace safety. Overexertion injuries account for roughly 25 percent of non-fatal work-related injuries, according to the Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index. These are injuries due to lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying, holding, and similar motions. Warehouse workers are most affected by these types of injuries, so what can we do to avoid injury? An expert staffing service like KB Staffing is always looking for ways to protect workers. Here are a few tips.
- Use proper lifting techniques. Never twist the back while lifting. The object being lifted should be between the knees and the shoulders, heavy objects should be between the knuckles and shoulders.
- Work from the neutral position as much as possible. This means keeping the neck and back straight with natural curves supported, shoulders straight down, elbows bent at 90 degrees, and straight wrists.
- Use mechanical assistance such as lifts, hoists, rollers, and other items to help move objects, especially those which are awkward or heavy. Use a forklift to lift heavy items from the floor, and an order picker to reach items from various heights.
- Use mechanical assistance properly. Don’t overload carts, pallets, or forklifts. Don’t use awkward postures or twists when operating the equipment.
- Ensure that mechanical equipment is in proper working order and well-maintained. A poorly maintained cart may simply make the job more difficult.
- Always follow safety protocols. Rules are in place for a reason. Don’t skip safety procedures for the sake of getting done faster. A workplace injury isn’t worth it.
Warehouse staffing is a great way to get a good job fast, and it doesn’t need to be dangerous. Take the time to learn how to navigate your workplace safely and efficiently, and listen to suggestions from your supervisors. They’ve encountered a lot on the floor and will have some excellent tips for getting the job done safely. No one wants to see you get hurt.
For more information, visit us in our Winter Haven office, located at 1560 6 th Street SE, between 9 to 11 a.m. or 2 to 4 p.m., or check out our website at www.kbstaffing.com.