Mark the First Day of the New Season with Some Fun Facts and Motivational Thoughts to Ignite Your Productivity
The summer solstice is on June 21 this year, so summer will officially be here! The summer solstice is the longest day of the year with the shortest night, so it’s a great time of year to take advantage of the extra hours of daylight to get things done. There’s more time for playing with the kids, gardening, or just taking a walk in the evening or morning. In honor of this special day, we’ve compiled a few interesting facts to inspire you.
- In 1902, a British railway employee sought to revamp the calendar by dividing the year into 13 four-week months. Moses B. Cotsworth was his name, and he added the extra month between June and July and called it Sol, because that’s when the summer solstice would fall. The calendar didn’t catch on, but it was a nice try!
- Motivational thought: Even though he was a railway employee, he thought outside the box and pursued something he believed in. In our modern lives, it’s easy to get stuck in the routine of our work day. Don’t hesitate to try a new hobby or activity, or learn a new professional trade.
- Modern Alaskans celebrate the summer solstice with a basketball game. That’s right – basketball! The Alaska Goldpanners play a special game that starts at 10:30 p.m. and extends into the wee hours of the morning – with no need for artificial light.
- Motivational thought: If a typical day’s work for you is rather sedentary, such as an office administrator, try spicing it up with coworkers and have lunch outside on Summer Solstice, or take 30 minutes during lunch to walk with coworkers.
- The people of Scandinavia mark Midsummer on June 24 with a huge bonfire. In 2010 the town of Alesund in Norway set a world record for their 132.71-foot bonfire. That’s huge!
- Motivational thought: You may not be able to light a literal bonfire, but you can light a metaphorical fire by sharing the ideas from this blog with your coworkers and team!
Summertime in Florida means many things, including a busy time for the Central Florida workforce, but it can be fun to mark the changing of the seasons. If you feel the need for a change in your career, call KB Staffing. We have lots of full time temp jobs and temp-to-hire jobs in Lakeland, Winter Haven, and throughout Polk County. To view our current jobs or to submit your application for consideration right away, go to our online job portal and create a username and password. It’s easy and takes only a few moments. Or, call us or stop by the office today to see what’s right for you at 863-875-5721.