When looking for work through a full-service staffing company in Polk County, it’s wise to keep in mind a few simple tips at the job interview. Kelly Braaten, founder of KB Staffing, offers this advice, “Even with unemployment at record lows, it is extremely important for people still in the job market to be professional with the application and interviewing process. If you go through all of the hoops to get an in-person interview, make sure you show up on time and you are dressed in professional attire that aligns with your trade.”
- Be flexible. Temp jobs often require nights, weekends, and/or holidays, so if you can work those hours, say so.
- Don’t ask for a full time position. Don’t go into the job expecting an offer of full time work, even if you are looking for temp-to-hire jobs. An offer may be made, but it’s not guaranteed, so don’t knock yourself out of the running by coming across as too demanding or picky.
- Highlight your temp job skills. There are certain skills that employers often look for in temp workers, such as flexibility on hours and an ability to learn quickly. Getting along well with others is important, too, as is adaptability to new environments. When you are a temporary worker there isn’t a lot of time for getting used to the workplace, you need to be able to hit the ground running.
- Focus on the job, not the company. In many interview situations it is helpful to demonstrate a knowledge of and interest in the company. When interviewing for a temp position, you want to show that you can immediately step into the necessary role, so it isn’t quite as important to showcase what you have learned about the company.
- Prepare for the interview. As with any interview, be prepared for common questions. Some of these may include whether or not you are interested in long-term employment, your hours of availability, what interests you about working a temp position, or how your colleagues might describe you. A mock interview beforehand can help you prepare for a variety of questions.
Interviewing for a temp position shouldn’t be overwhelming, and an expert staffing service like KB Staffing can help you be prepared. Call us today to get started.